Frozen shoulder, technically known as adhesive capsulitis, is a condition that causes severe stiffness in the shoulder and pain eventually disabling you to move the shoulder. The condition starts with a simple shoulder pain that intensify with time and lasts for months.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Frozen Shoulder: Natural, Effective & Safe Methods
Ayurvedic treatments for Frozen Shoulder include therapies such as abhyanga, kizhi, pizhichil etc.
What Causes Frozen Shoulder?
It is ligaments that hold the bones of shoulder in place and these ligaments are in turn covered by a capsule. It is the inflammation of the capsule containing the ligament tissues that is thought to be the major cause of Frozen Shoulder. An inflamed ligament thickens further becoming more and more stiff making it difficult to move the shoulder. Apart from the inflammation some other causes are also thought to give rise to frozen shoulder.
- An injury to the shoulder
- Undergoing a surgery that holds shoulder immobile for a long time
- Conditions such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, Parkinson’s disease, and cardiac disease
- Excessive strenuous use of shoulder joints
What are the Common Symptoms of Frozen Shoulder?
Pain and stiffness in shoulder region develops over time if you suffer from frozen shoulder develops over time with main symptom being. People with Frozen Shoulder also report inability to move the shoulder.Common symptoms include:
- Severe pain
- Stiffness in shoulder
- Pain while moving the shoulder in the initial stage
- Hormonal changes especially in menopause
Ayurvedic treatment for frozen shoulder
Ayurveda mainly suggests massage to ease the stiffness in case of frozen Shoulder. Along with it are also some Detoxification therapies to remove harmful toxins and vata aggravation from the body.
The stiff shoulder is considered to be caused by Kapha Dosha. Ayurveda relates Frozen Shoulder to Apabahuka and considers it as arising from imbalance of vata or vata vyadhi.
List of Ayurvedic treatments for frozen shoulder
- Abhyangam:It is a full body massage from Head to Toe executed with medicated herbal oils. Abhyangam helps to relieve pain and aches in shoulder joints by providing lubrication, improving blood flow and channelizing the nerve ending.
- Pizhichil: It is the squeezing of warm medicated oil onto the patient’s body using a piece of cloth, periodically soaked in a vessel containing the medicated oil. Pizhichil helps improve tone of the shoulder muscle and strengthen them.
- Nasyam: Administration of herbal drugs or oils through the nostrils is what is called Nasyam. The medicated enhance the vital centers of the brain and reduce pain perception.
- Greeva Basti: Herbal oil is poured over the neck after warmig and sustained inside a pit in the affected region, created with black gram paste/whole wheat flour. This helps in reducing pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulder region.
- Sneha Basti: Sneha Basti is an enema procedure using medicated oil. It reduces vata aggravation and thus reduces pain.
- Kashaya Basti: Kashaya Basti is an enema procedure using medicated decoction. It reduces vata vitiation and reduces pain.